About us (original page layout)
Public World was founded as a social enterprise in 2010 to provide learning and development supports and other consultancy services to organisations seeking to improve service quality and resource use by empowering and improving the wellbeing of their staff.
We help frontline teams learn how to manage themselves and function well, coach their organisation’s leaders about the cultural and mindset changes needed to empower them, and work with their back offices to repurpose from ‘command and control’ to ‘serve and support’.
Our commitment to effective and efficient services and fair and supportive work environments means we also tackle underlying challenges that obstruct those goals, such as discrimination and other employment practices that undermine individual happiness and collective unity of purpose.
Our team of experienced consultants in Britain works closely with our partners in the Netherlands. Combining our expertise, we support radical change not only in health and social care but also in other service sectors in which self-management can bring transformative improvement.
How can we help?
We explore new ways of tackling difficult problems, facilitate dialogue about them and help our clients co-create solutions. To do this we provide consultancy services to:
Make work better
- Research, policy analysis and project evaluation about job creation, decent work and employment ethics.
- Facilitating dialogue at all levels to improve job satisfaction, quality and productivity.
- Team building and training to embrace diversity and build unity for positive change and resilience.
Improve public service
- Training and consultancy in workforce involvement to improve job satisfaction, management culture and performance.
- Involving community and civil society organisations in project design, planning and monitoring.
- Research, policy analysis and project evaluation to improve efficiency and effective resource use for public value.
Promote sustainable development
- Helping international institutions, governments and employers to promote employment and livelihood opportunities and skills for a green economy.
- Supporting civil society and workforce voice and participation in the design, evaluation and implementation of development projects that affect them.
- Providing policy advice, project evaluation and research about building and improving livelihoods and services in fragile and conflict-affected environments.
Public World has helped us build bridges with non-traditional partners through a careful balancing act: Evenhandedness without detachment. Expertise without technocracy. Values without dogma.
Meike van Ginneken, World Bank
On behalf of the ITF, I would like to thank you very much for all your work. The project has provided information and analysis of an extremely high quality which has benefited the political and industrial work of the ITF, and stimulated new policies and relationships. The ITF looks forward to an ongoing programme of work with Public World.
David Cockroft, International Transport Workers’ Federation
Public World produced the first research on international cooperation between global unions on precarious work. This was a sensitive and difficult process which the team handled brilliantly. The work proved to be central in building international solidarity between unions
Elizabeth Cotton, Founder of Surviving Work, and former Head of Education at ICEM